Our initiatives at the Committee on the Rights of the Child
The Committee is a body composed of 18 experts that monitor the implementation of the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) and its two Protocols (children in armed conflicts and the sale of children, child prostitution and child pornography) by States parties. It also makes observations that deepen the content of the CRC. BICE participates in each session every two years. Discover more about the Committee on the Rights of the Child.
Days of general discussion
September 2012: Right to education of migrant children
- BICE gave a presentation on children left behind in their country, with the example of Moldova (in French)
- BICE gave a presentation on the Fenix project: a significant practice to improve access to the right to education of migrant children (in French)
September 2011: Situation in Mali
The BICE-Mali presented its advocacy initiatives to improve the situation of children of imprisoned mothers in Mali during the Day of General Discussion.
September 2010: Children in Detention
Joined by 50 other NGOs, BICE managed to convince the Committee on the Rights of the Child to devote their day of General Discussion in 2011 to children of prisoners.
September 2008: The Right to Education
The right of the child to education in emergency situations: Reflections of our experiences.
Other interventions in the Committee on the Rights of the Child
May 2010: “Campaign 2010- 2012 for the universal ratification of the Optional Protocols to the Convention”
For more information, download the PDF documents (in English):
- Letter sent to States that have not ratified the Protocol on children in armed conflict
- Letter sent to States that have not ratified the Protocol on the Sale of Children
- Letter sent to States that have not ratified any of the Protocols
January 21, 2010: Calling for a new global mobilization for Children
Presentation of signatures from the Global Call to a New Mobilization for Childhood to members of the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child. At the headquarters of the Office of the United Nations for Human Rights, the President of BICE, Yves-Marie Lanoë, gave the Committee on the Rights of the Child 10,000 signatures collected during the campaign World Appeal to a New Mobilization for Children, a text prepared by our organization to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Our President, accompanied by the two Vice-Presidents, brother Stephen Tuohy and Mrs.Marie-Thérèse Mulanga, had the honor of presenting the collection of signatures and the proceedings of the International Symposium held June 4, 2009 to Mrs.Yanghee Lee, President the Committee on the Rights of the Child, thanking the support BICE received from members of the Committee during the preparation of the Call.
Twelve other members of the Committee were also present. They congratulated BICE for the mobilization it had generated and renewed their intention to develop closer cooperation with us.
October 8-9, 2009: 20th anniversary of the adoption of the Convention on the Rights of the Child
During the celebration of the 20th anniversary of the adoption of the Committee on the Rights of the Child, BICE presented six statements.
Download the following documents in PDF format:
- The right to education to prevent violations of children’s rights (in French)
- Children: Rights holders versus commodity (English)
- Founding principles of the dignity and rights of the child and child labor exploitation (in French)
- States parties obligations related to child’s right to health (English)
- The roots for the full development of the child lie within the family (English)
- La participación de niñas, niños y adolescentes (Spanish)